An invitation for Artist and Creatives living or working in East London partthe London Borough of Newham, Barking & Dagenham, and Waltham Forest.
The past year was one which forced us all to adapt as we faced the impact of COVID-19. Stratford Arts Trust aka Stratford Circus began a journey of revisioning, to explore how we will continue to work in our community and offer programmes which bring joy, draw people together and empower them through creativity in person and online.
As part of this journey, we have immersed ourselves in research to learn more about other community organisations within Newham, local schools and colleges and continued conversations with our existing partners, local council teams and local friends.
Our research has given us valuable insight into some of the leading barriers and challenges people are facing and how we as an arts organisation can work with local communities now and in the future. As part of this process, we are keen to involve local artists, creatives and collectives who have had to adapt to change and gain better understanding into what your hopes for the road to freedom and beyond are and what role Stratford Circus can play in that future.
We recognise the importance of hearing directly from local artists and creatives, so we would like to invite you to join us at, a series of round table talks of, Curious creatives in conversation.
We want to share the knowledge we have gained from our recent research and are curious to learn and hear from you. We also want to begin to build a network of artists and creatives who we can share news, opportunities or have more curious conversations with, in the future.
Curious creatives in conversation, wants to invite Artists and Creatives based inNewham, Barking, Dagenham and Waltham Forest.
A time for us to meet with local artists, creatives and collectives and have an honest, and curious conversations about the arts and communities in East London. We are happy for you to define what makes you an artist or creative, but we are imagining this to include performing artists, producers, makers, digital creators, technical creatives and everything in between.
We would like to explore:
- The support local artists would find most valuable.
- How artists, creatives and collectives have been engaging with local communities
- Plans for the future, how artists, creatives are preparing their practice in 2021 and beyond.
- Wednesday 5th May, 6-8pm
- Wednesday 26th May, 11am-1pm
- Wednesday 16th June, 6-8pm
Where: Zoom, possibly in person in the future.
Who’s eligible to join the conversation?
- Artists and creatives aged 18 + with at least one year’s professional experience.
- Artists and creatives living in Barking & Dagenham, Newham and Waltham Forest.
- We have 12 spaces available for curious creatives and will welcome artists and creatives from across the 3 boroughs for each conversation.
• Not from Barking & Dagenham, Newham or Waltham Forest? Interested in joining a conversation or finding out more about artist opportunities we have on the horizon? Please fill out this Expression of interest formand we will be in touch with news. We hope to host similar conversations in the future for younger artists and recent graduates, sign up to our newsletter to find out when.
How to join the conversation
We want to make sure we hear from artists and creatives across multiple disciplines and artists who are at different stages of their journey.
Please complete our Expression of interest formto be in the chance to join the conversation. We will select artists based on borough, art discipline and availability as we want to make sure we have a selection of artists for each of the conversations. If sessions fill up we will invite 3 additional artists to join our drop out list, this will accommodate for any artists who may be unable to join on the day due to emergencies or last min opportunities!
We value your thoughts and time
There will be payment of £50 to all artists and creatives who join participate in our conversation. We want to create a safe space for artists and creatives to share with us. We would like to make a record of the conversations to document, listen to and learn from. How we share these conversations in the future will be decided in collaboration with those who participate.